When your child reaches adolescence, their body changes. So, if you start to smell B.O. in the car ride home from school, it might be time for your little angel to start using antiperspirant or deodorant.
In this post, we’ll share the best deodorant for kids along with valuable tips to help you make the healthiest, safest choice!
1. Truly's Organic Deodorant for Kids
Truly’s is on our list of Best Natural Deodorants for Axillary Hyperhidrosis and its kids’ formula works well too. Made with natural odor-fighting ingredients like coconut oil, powdered sugar, baking soda and beeswax, Truly’s is so organic you could literally eat it.
It’s also scientifically proven to prevent bacteria growth using hyperosmosis. What does that mean exactly? The sugar in Truly’s mixes with sweat and fills the sweat glands with a thick fluid. This creates a sticky environment in which bacteria cannot live. Reviews highlight how effective it is for kids of all ages, even for those who are active in sports.
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
- 100% organic
- Lasts all day
- Has a 4.5-star rating on Amazon with more than 700 reviews!
- Only offered in paste form and must be applied with the fingers
2. Tom's Wicked Cool! Deodorant
Tom’s offers all-natural deodorant for kids. Vegetable oils, aloe, hops, sunflower seeds, citrus fruits and lemongrass work together to combat odor without irritating sensitive skin.
Tom’s deodorants do not contain baking soda, making it a great option for children who are sensitive to this ingredient. Reviewers love that it smells fresh and lasts throughout the day, making it perfect for kids on the go.
- Easy-to-apply solid
- Provides cooling sensation when applied
- No aluminum, baking soda or other harsh chemicals
- Over 1,300 reviews on Amazon with a 4.5-star rating
- Scent is light; may not be as effective for stronger body odor
- Can melt in higher temperatures (due to the natural ingredients)
3. Dirty Kids Organics Natural Deodorant
Dirty Kids Organics is a small family-owned business that provides all-natural, organic and environmentally friendly hygiene products for kids. Their deodorant contains coconut oil, carnauba wax, baking soda and essential oils.
The baking soda and coconut oil fight odor and bacteria while the carnauba wax seals the mixture on the surface of the skin. Many reviews mention that the odor protection lasts overnight for all-day freshness, even with the unscented version.
- Chemical free
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Handmade in the U.S.A.
- Must warm solid stick with body heat so it doesn’t crumble during application
- Some reviewers don’t like the scent
4. Schmidt's Fragrance Free Deodorant for Sensitive Skin
If your child struggles with sweat and B.O. and has sensitive skin, this is the product for them! Schmidt’s fragrance-free deodorant for sensitive skin isn’t labeled as a deodorant for kids but it’s gentle and safe for people of any age.
Made with arrowroot powder, coconut oil and other organic ingredients, it’s one of the only natural deodorants that absorbs sweat and stops the stink. Many reviewers mention that this deodorant lasts all day without reapplication, even during physical activity or exercise.
- Plant-based, all-natural ingredients
- Over 200 reviews on Amazon and a 4.5-star rating
- Great for kids who struggle with armpit sweat, odor and sensitive skin.
- May not keep odors away entire day without reapplication
5. Hello Fragrance-Free Deodorant with Shea Butter
This deodorant from Hello is formulated without aluminum or baking soda to prevent the irritation and staining that sometimes accompany more traditional antiperspirants. Clinically tested to naturally fight odors for 24 hours, Hello’s deodorant also glides on smoothly, which can be a challenge for some natural deodorants.
Reviewers note that this deodorant is highly effective and moisturizing, leaving no irritation even after prolonged use over many months. Hello also makes deodorant with activated charcoal or fragrance for additional odor protection.
- Over 400 reviews on Amazon with a four-star rating
- Smooth application
- Clean, refreshing scent
- Fun, colorful and kid-friendly packaging
- Contains essential oils which can irritate the skin
- Can be difficult to dispense more product
6. Arm & Hammer Essentials Unscented Deodorant
If your kid is extra sweaty, you’ll want to choose an antiperspirant or deodorant that’s reliable and trusted by the adults.
This natural deodorant by Arm & Hammer is rated highly for many reasons. It’s aluminum-free and offers up to 24 hours of odor protection using natural ingredients like plant extracts and baking soda. Many reviewers love the easy gel-like application that goes on smoothly and won’t flake off or crumble.
Best of all, Arm & Hammer deodorants are priced well and a great option for kids to try.
- Long-lasting odor protection
- All-natural ingredients
- Super affordable: retail value around $5 or less
- Over 1,000 reviews on Amazon and a 4.6-star rating
- Contains baking soda which may irritate sensitive skin
7. Native Deodorant
Native deodorants are aluminum-free and available in a variety of sweet-smelling scents, so kids can pick a fragrance they love. These deodorants do not contain aluminum, parabens, phthalates or talc. Instead, they use naturally derived ingredients like tapioca starch and baking soda to minimize underarm wetness while neutralizing odor.
Because it does not contain aluminum, parents can rest easy knowing that this deodorant won’t stain their kids’ clothes. Native deodorant is also completely solid, making reapplication quick and easy.
- Many fragrance options
- 24-hour odor protection
- Doesn’t leave marks
- Not as long-lasting as other options
8. Fresh Kidz Deodorant
Fresh Kidz makes deodorant and body wash products specifically designed for pre-teens and teens. Their all-natural, roll-on deodorant is aluminum-free, and doesn’t contain any parabens or other harsh chemicals. Fresh Kidz deodorant is available in a variety of scents and boasts up to 24 hours of odor protection to last through your kid’s daily activities.
- Tested by dermatologists
- 24-hour odor defense
- Vegan friendly
- Scent is somewhat strong
- Not ideal for heavy sweaters
How to Shop for Deodorant for Kids
Many cosmetics on the market today are filled with harsh chemicals. It’s normal to have health and safety concerns about deodorant, especially if it’s for your child. Here’s what you need to consider to keep your kids healthy and safe.
1. Look at the Ingredients
Let’s talk about a few ingredients you may want to avoid and why.
- Triclosan: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned this chemical in antibacterial soaps but it’s still in many deodorants. Studies suggest triclosan contributes to early puberty, obesity and infertility.
- Aluminum: This chemical causes yellow stains on white shirts that are nearly impossible to remove. Studies show it also damages genetic information and interferes with your hormones.
- Parabens: An International Journal of Toxicology study shows these artificial preservatives may interfere with estrogen levels.
- Artificial dyes and fragrances: A large percentage of the population is allergic to these substances, which are known to irritate the skin and cause a rash.
2. Choose a Product With Easy Application
Ingredients aren’t the only factor to consider. Rushing to get your kid out the door every morning? Buy them an easy-to-apply deodorant and have one less thing to worry about.
Roll-on and solid deodorants work best, and some deodorants are formulated to be completely clear. Avoid sprays or messy pastes and look for the kind that goes on invisible. You’ll save your child the embarrassment of discovering white deodorant marks on their shirt and have one less mess to clean up.
3. Opt for a Product That's Long-Lasting
Middle school and high school are tough enough. Your kid shouldn’t stress about reapplying deodorant midday. A few swipes in the morning should keep them smelling fresh well past the last bell.
Don’t automatically trust labels that say “24-hour protection.” Be sure to check customer reviews to see if a deodorant actually works, especially if your child plays a sport or does another high-energy extracurricular activity. You might have to go through some trial and error to find the product that’s right for your kiddo.
What If Deodorant Isn't Enough?
Sometimes, even the best deodorant for kids is not enough. If your child suffers from extreme sweating or body odor, they may have a more serious medical condition.
Talk to Your Pediatrician
Ask your pediatrician to evaluate your child for hyperhidrosis and bromhidrosis.
Hyperhidrosis or chronic sweating affects approximately 1.6% of adolescents and 0.6% of children worldwide. Children with hyperhidrosis may sweat through clothing daily, have low self-confidence and avoid social situations. To learn more read our blog post, Teen Sweating 101: Your Guide to Tackling Heavy Sweat Like a Champ.
Bromhidrosis, or chronic body odor, also affects teens and children. If your child smells strongly of onions or garlic, even after a shower, they may have bromhidrosis.
Try a Thompson Tee
If your child needs more protection than deodorant can offer, try a sweat proof undershirt like the Thompson Tee, available in a variety of sizes and styles. The Thompson Tee provides all-natural protection against armpit sweat and odor. And it's machine washable.
Try one risk-free today and your child won’t ever have to worry about armpit sweat stains or odor again!