As our kids grow, their hormones and bodies change. And sooner or later, they reach a point when a deodorant or antiperspirant will become an inevitable part of their daily hygiene routine.
If it’s time for your loved one to start wearing deodorant and you’re looking for an effective and safe solution, we’re here to help you make the right choice. But before we jump to comparing the best deodorants for kids in 2023, it’s important to know what to look for (and what to avoid).
Jump to our list of best deodorants for kids.
The Best Deodorant for Kids
Here’s our comprehensive list of the best deodorants for kids based on customer satisfaction, effectiveness and overall value for your money:
1. Truly's Organic Deodorant for Kids
Truly’s formula is made with non-GMO, organic odor-fighting ingredients like coconut oil, powdered sugar, baking soda and beeswax. It is so safe you could literally eat it.
It’s also scientifically proven to prevent bacteria growth by creating a hyperosmotic environment. What does that mean exactly? The sugar in Truly’s mixes with the sweat and fills the sweat glands with a thick fluid. Bacteria cannot survive in such a sticky environment.
It’s safe to use for kids of all ages – 2 and upwards.
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
- 100% natural organic ingredients
- Lasts all day
- 4.5-star rating
- Only offered in paste form and must be applied with the fingers
Learn more: Is Charcoal Deodorant Good?
2. Tom's Wicked Cool! Deodorant
Tom’s top-rated all-natural deodorant for kids provides a great value for the money. Vegetable oils, aloe, hops, sunflower seeds, citrus fruits and lemongrass work together to combat odor without irritating sensitive skin.
Tom’s deodorants do not contain baking soda, making it a great option for children who are sensitive to this ingredient. Parents love that it lasts throughout the day, keeping kids fresh on the go.
- 24-hour odor protection
- No aluminum, baking soda or other harsh chemicals
- 4.5-star rating
- Scent is light; may not be as effective for stronger body odor
- Can melt in higher temperatures
3. Dirty Kids Organics Natural Deodorant
Dirty Kids Organics is a small family-owned business that provides all-natural, organic and environmentally-friendly hygiene products for kids. Their deodorant contains coconut oil, carnauba wax, baking soda and essential oils.
The baking soda and coconut oil fight odor and bacteria while the carnauba wax seals the mixture on the skin's surface. It’s available in a scented (lavender and forest) and unscented formula. Many reviews mention that the odor protection lasts overnight for all-day freshness, even with the unscented version.
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Handmade in the U.S.A.
- Dry and granulated – needs to warm up for easier application
4. Schmidt's Fragrance Free Deodorant for Sensitive Skin
If your child struggles with sweat and B.O. and has sensitive skin, this is the product for them! Schmidt’s fragrance-free deodorant for sensitive skin isn’t labeled as a deodorant for kids, but it’s gentle and safe for people of any age.
Made with arrowroot powder, coconut oil and other organic ingredients, it’s one of the only natural deodorants that absorbs sweat and stops the stink. It lasts throughout the without reapplication, even during physical activity.
It comes in different scents, and users don’t seem to like some of them. So we’d advise sticking to your kids’ usual favorite.
- Plant-based, all-natural ingredients
- Certified vegan and cruelty-free
- Absorbs sweat
- Messy application
- Leaves marks on clothes
5. Arm & Hammer Essentials Unscented Deodorant
Here’s another deodorant that’s safe for kids despite being marketed to adults.
This natural deodorant by Arm & Hammer would be an ideal option if your child sweats excessively and needs something stronger to fight off the BO. It’s free of any nasties like aluminum and parabens, completely relying on the power of natural plant extracts and baking soda to fight off odor 24 hours a day. Due to it’s gel-like formula, the application is smooth and doesn’t flake off or crumble.
It’s available in major retail stores as well as online.
- Long-lasting odor protection
- Nature-derived ingredients
- Easy application
- Contains baking soda, which may irritate sensitive skin
6. Fresh Monster Natural, Aluminum Free Deodorant
Formulated for kids and teens, Fresh Monster’s hypoallergenic deodorant is dermatologically tested and safe to use on delicate skin. Like most deodorants for kids on this list, it’s made of all-natural ingredients (like baking soda and tapioca starch) and is completely free of harmful chemicals.
The gummy bear scent makes it a perfect choice for kids who need to be introduced to the habit of wearing deodorant for the first time. It provides long-lasting odor protection, even to active kids who swear a lot.
- Formulated for kids
- No chemicals
- Doesn’t need to be reapplied
- Easy application
- Contains baking soda
7. Kobi Sport Deodorant
If you're looking to keep your athletic little one feeling fresh and clean throughout the day, then Kobi Sport Deodorant for kids is what you need!
This USA-made deodorant for kids aged 5 and up uses ingredients like Witch Hazel and White Clay to prevent and kill odor-causing bacteria. The non-sticky formula contains no baking soda that might irritate your kid’s sensitive skin. Nor does it leave stains on the clothes.
There have several scents for boys and girls to choose from, along with a unisex unscented option.
- Formulated for kids
- No harmful substances
- Strong odor protection for active kids
- Easy application
8. Fresh Kidz Deodorant
Fresh Kidz makes deodorant and body wash products specifically designed for the younger ones. Their all-natural, roll-on deodorant is aluminum-free and doesn’t contain any parabens or other harsh chemicals. Fresh Kidz deodorant is available in a variety of scents and boasts up to 24 hours of odor protection to last through your kid’s daily activities.
- Tested by dermatologists
- 24-hour odor defense
- Scent is somewhat strong
- Not ideal for heavy sweaters
How to Shop for Deodorant for Kids
With so many products on the market today filled with harsh and harmful ingredients, it’s normal to have health and safety concerns when choosing a deodorant for kids.
Here’s what you need to consider:
1. LOOK AT THE INGREDIENTS
Let’s talk about a few ingredients you may want to avoid and why.
- Triclosan: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned this chemical in antibacterial soaps, but it’s still in many deodorants. Studies suggest triclosan contributes to early puberty, obesity and infertility.
- Aluminum: This chemical causes yellow stains on white shirts that are nearly impossible to remove. More important, studies show it also damages genetic information and interferes with hormones.
- Parabens: An International Journal of Toxicology study shows these artificial preservatives may interfere with estrogen levels.
- Artificial dyes and fragrances: A large percentage of the population is allergic to these substances, which are known to irritate the skin and cause a rash.
2. CHOOSE A PRODUCT WITH EASY APPLICATION
Roll-on and solid deodorants work best, and some deodorants are formulated to be completely clear. Avoid sprays or messy pastes, and look for the kind that goes on invisible. You’ll save your child the embarrassment of discovering white deodorant marks on their shirt and have one less mess to clean up.
3. OPT FOR A PRODUCT THAT'S LONG-LASTING
Middle school and high school are tough enough. Your kid shouldn’t stress about reapplying deodorant midday. A few swipes in the morning should keep them smelling fresh well past the last bell.
Don’t automatically trust labels that say “24-hour protection.” Be sure to check customer reviews to see if a deodorant actually works, especially if your child plays a sport or does another high-energy extracurricular activity. You might have to go through some trial and error to find the product that’s right for your kiddo.
4. TALK TO YOUR PEDIATRICIAN
Sometimes, even the best deodorant for kids is not enough. If your child suffers from extreme sweating or body odor, they may have a more serious medical condition. Ask your pediatrician to evaluate your child for hyperhidrosis and bromhidrosis.
- Hyperhidrosis, or chronic sweating, affects approximately 1.6% of adolescents and 0.6% of children worldwide. Children with hyperhidrosis may sweat through clothing daily, have low self-confidence and avoid social situations.
- Bromhidrosis, or chronic body odor, also affects teens and children. If your child smells strongly of onions or garlic, even after a shower, they may have bromhidrosis.
Learn more: The Smelly Truth About Puberty Sweat
Double Up the Protection With a Thompson Tee
If your child needs more protection than deodorant can offer, try a sweat proof undershirt like the Thompson Tee. It provides all-natural protection against armpit sweat and odor and it's machine washable.
Our Thompson Tee shirts come in various styles, colors and sizes. And while they’re designed for adults, we recommend trying an extra small or small size for your kiddo.
Try one risk-free today and your child won’t ever have to worry about armpit sweat stains or odor again!