Armpit Detox Explained: What It Is and How It Works
Let’s talk about the armpit detox, one of the latest wellness trends. What exactly does it entail, and what you can you expect?
In this post, we'll show you how to do an armpit detox at home, plus helpful tips to get you through the process.
Learn more: Your Guide to Armpit Sweat
What is an Armpit Detox?
An armpit detox is a way to help your body transition to natural deodorant usage more efficiently. During an armpit detox, you'll clear clogged pores from prior years of antiperspirant use.
While there are a lot of claims surrounding the benefits of armpit detoxing, many are unsubstantiated.
First, an armpit detox isn’t so much an actual detox, but a deep cleansing treatment. It helps clear pores and remove the sticky buildup of antiperspirant or deodorant from your armpits.
When switching from antiperspirants to natural alternatives, you’ll probably sweat more than usual because your body is adjusting to the lack of active ingredients from antiperspirants.
Long-term use of antiperspirants changes your body’s bacteria, which is why you stink more once you stop using them. You may also experience rashes and excessive odor while transitioning, which is totally normal.
What Are the Benefits to Armpit Detoxing?
Undergoing an armpit detox can help:
- Eliminate odor-causing bacteria
- Make your armpit skin softer and smoother
- Increase the effectiveness of natural deodorant by rebalancing the body’s natural bacterial flora faster
- Be helpful for people who have bromhidrosis or excessive body odor
- Reduce irritation from ingredients in natural deodorants like baking soda and cornstarch.
Armpit Detox False Claims
Tread carefully, and don’t believe everything you see or hear about armpit detoxing. Here are a couple of claims that don’t stand up to closer scrutiny.
“Armpit detoxing pulls toxins from the skin, sweat glands and lymph nodes.” This is false. Only your liver, kidneys and natural elimination processes detox your body from toxins. An armpit detox may help remove surface product buildup in the underarms but will not leach toxins from other parts of the body.
“Avoiding antiperspirant use reduces the risk of developing breast cancer.” This is also false. Research at the National Cancer Institute has found no conclusive evidence linking antiperspirants or deodorants to breast cancer.
How to Detox Your Armpits
Here’s a simple armpit detox mask recipe you can make at home:
- 1 tablespoon bentonite clay (available at health food stores or online)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- Mix the bentonite clay and water until you reach a yogurt-like consistency.
- Spread an even layer on your armpits and let it sit for 5-15 minutes.
- Wash off the mask in the shower or with a warm, wet washcloth.
Note: Both ACV and bentonite clay can irritate sensitive skin. If you experience severe stinging, burning or redness, remove the mask immediately.
Apply the mask daily or as needed during the armpit detox process.
Other Armpit Detox Tips
In addition to using an armpit detox mask, try these tips to reduce underarm sweat and odor. Your new deodorant will be even more effective, and you’ll feel comfortable and confident too.
- Wash and exfoliate with all-natural antibacterial soap and look for odor- and bacteria-fighting ingredients like tea tree oil, oregano, peppermint and eucalyptus.
- Dry off thoroughly after bathing to keep bacteria at bay and eliminate excess moisture from your body, especially your armpits.
- Wear the right clothes and opt for natural fibers like cotton, wool or silk to keep you cool and comfortable. For extra protection against sweat stains and odor, add a sweat proof Thompson Tee for an instant confidence boost.
- Keep your clothes clean - being diligent about getting the sweat smell out of your clothes will help you feel good through the detox process.
- Drink plenty of water or green tea, and eat mindfully. Opt for foods that ease digestion and stress, such as fruits and non-sulfurous vegetables. Avoid spicy foods, processed foods, sulfurous veggies, and caffeine and alcohol.
To best ease the transition to natural deodorant or mitigate the amount of chemicals you’re applying to your underarms, wear a sweat proof undershirt, like a Thompson Tee.
Thompson Tee’s patented underarm Hydro-Shield technology traps heat and moisture, so sweat evaporates rather than seeping through your clothes and staining your outer layers. Thompson Tees offer a natural line of defense against heavy sweating and stains.
Don’t sweat it! Try a Thompson Tee for men or women risk-free today.