Is there anything worse than washing sweaty clothing only to find that odor and stains remain trapped? If you regularly deal with excessive sweat or body odor, your clothes may be in less-than-pristine condition – and are actually getting worse.
For athletes or those with hyperhidrosis, sweat stains can permeate clothing fibers, eventually ruining them. To make matters worse, sweat stains often linger on technical fabrics, like those used for workout clothes.
But have no fear! With an effective odor-removing laundry detergent, you can easily make your clothes smell fresh and regain your confidence as a result.
Check out our top picks for best laundry detergent for sweat odor:
- Best laundry pre-treatment: OxiClean Odor Blasters Versatile Stain & Odor Remover
- Best laundry booster: Tide Odor Rescue In-Wash Laundry Booster
- Best sweat stain remover spray: Sweat X Sport Extreme Stain Remover
- Best liquid detergent: Tide Plus Febreze Sport Odor Defense
- Best multi-purpose detergent: Arm & Hammer Plus OxiClean Fresh Scent
- Best sanitizing detergent: Lysol Laundry Sanitizer
- Best detergent packs: Hex Performance Laundry Detergent Packs
- Best detergent for workout clothes: Sweat X Laundry Detergent
- Best detergent for technical fabrics: Win Sports Detergent
- Best eco-friendly detergent: Sport Suds Laundry Detergent
- Best detergent for sensitive skin: Roux Maison Sport Laundry Detergent
- Best hypoallergenic detergent: Method Laundry Detergent Free + Clear
- Best detergent for B.O.: Active Wear Laundry Detergent & Soak
- Best plant-based detergent: Biokleen Natural Sport Concentrated Laundry Detergent
- Best detergent sheets: Earth Breeze Liquidless Eco Sheets
- Best unscented detergent: Defunkify
- Best detergent for pet odors: Febreze Pet Odor Eliminator
- Best overall stain remover: OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Powder
- Best powder detergent for trapped odors: OUT ProWash Workwear Odor Eliminator
1. BEST LAUNDRY PRE-TREATMENT FOR ODOR AND SWEAT
For best results on tough stains and sweat odor, use OxiClean Odor Blasters as a pre-treatment soak. Or, add it to your wash for overall freshening and stain removal.
- Specially formulated for use on smelly socks, musty towels, work and uniform smells, sweat stains and body odor
- Color safe
- Avg. retail price: $8.99 for 57 load size
2. BEST LAUNDRY BOOSTER FOR SWEATY CLOTHES
When your sweaty clothes need extra help, add Tide Odor Rescue In-Wash Laundry Booster to any detergent to eliminate sweat odor residue.
- Cleans deep down at the fiber level to remove stains and odors
- Helps eliminate odors at the source
- Unlocks freshness with the added power of Febreze
- Avg. retail price: $9.99 for 18 count package
3. BEST SWEAT STAIN REMOVER SPRAY
When tough sweat stains get you down, give Sweat X Sport Extreme Stain Remover a try.
- Effective at removing sweat stains, sports stains and ring around the collar
- Penetrates fabric to lift away even set-in stains
- Eco-friendly, non-toxic and biodegradable
- Avg. retail price: $9.89 for a 16 oz. bottle
4. BEST LIQUID DETERGENT FOR STRONG ODORS
Tide Plus Febreze Sport Odor Defense offers excellent cleaning and odor removal. Plus, Febreze helps clothing stay fresh for up to three times longer.
- Targets tough, set-in stains and removes even week-old sweat odors
- Contains unique scent-renewal technology that releases freshness as you move
- Available in two formulas for use in regular and high-efficiency washing machines
- Avg. retail price: $11.99 for 92 oz. bottle
5. BEST MULTI-PURPOSE DETERGENT
When you want to kick stains the old-school way, Arm & Hammer to the rescue! Arm & Hammer Plus OxiClean Fresh Scent boasts deep cleaning power, supercharged with OxiClean stain fighters.
- Cleans over 101 stains
- Promises whiter whites and brighter brights
- Low-sudsing formula that works in all machines and temperatures
- Avg. retail price: $20.97 for 224 oz. size (128 loads)
6. BEST SANITIZING DETERGENT
Lysol Laundry Sanitizer is a great choice when you want to add antibacterial power to your war on odor fighting.
- Kills 99.9% of bacteria that other detergents leave
- USDA-certified biobased product
- Avg. retail price: $9.47 for 90 oz. bottle
7. BEST DETERGENT PACKS FOR SMELLY CLOTHES
Can’t stand measuring laundry detergent? With HEX Laundry Detergent Packs, there’s no measuring or pouring necessary. Just toss one in, load and go.
- Eliminates odors with technology, not perfumes
- Removes residue that other detergents leave behind
- Protects fabrics from losing that new-clothes feeling
- Avg. retail price: $21.59 for 55 load package
8. BEST LAUNDRY DETERGENT FOR WORKOUT CLOTHES
Sweat X Laundry Detergent is a specially formulated high-performance detergent that exfoliates stains, bacteria and infested sweat known to cause odor in activewear.
- Restores fabric performance and wicking
- Safe for all fabrics and sensitive skin
- No fabric softener or dryer sheets needed
- Avg. retail price: $20.69 for 45 oz. bottle
9. BEST DETERGENT FOR TECHNICAL FABRICS
Win Active Fresh Sports Detergent is “the best-selling odor removal detergent on Amazon.” Win is specially engineered to get the stink out of technical, synthetic and microfiber fabrics.
- Makes high-performance activewear last longer
- The top-selling fitness detergent for 15 years
- Never tested on animals and bottled in recycled plastic
- Avg. retail price: $12.95 for 32 oz. bottle
10. BEST ENVIRONMENTALLY-FRIENDLY DETERGENT FOR ODOR AND SWEAT
Sport Suds Laundry Detergent products contain naturally occurring ingredients of non-animal origin. They do not contain dyes, phosphates, UV brighteners, bleach or perfumes.
- Hypoallergenic, biodegradable and non-toxic
- Ideal for high-tech sports clothing
- Allows waterproof breathable fabrics to breathe better
- Avg. retail price: $59.95 for 1.8 kg tub (140+ loads)
11. BEST DETERGENT FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
Roux Maison’s fragrance-free formula has a neutral pH and contains no harmful ingredients, making it safe even for little ones.
- Specifically designed for high-tech performance gear (like spandex and lycra)
- Tough on stains when combined with their stain remover product
- Concentrated, long-lasting formula
- Avg. retail price: $19.99 for 16 oz. bottle
Don’t have time for laundry? Check out Anti-Odor Spray for Clothes
12. BEST HYPOALLERGENIC DETERGENT
Method Laundry Detergent Free + Clear is biodegradable and hypoallergenic, without dyes or perfumes.
- Plant-based stain lifting power that’s gentle on sensitive skin
- Can be used for high-efficiency and standard washing machines
- Brightens colors and whites like a boss
- Avg. retail price: $9.99 for 18 count package
13. BEST DETERGENT FOR B.O.
Active Wear Laundry Detergent & Soak contains enzymes that remove and eliminate sweat smells from gym clothing. This product is made in the USA.
- Plant-based and free from sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), phosphates and gluten
- Extends your clothing’s lifespan
- Concentrated formula saves money
- Avg. retail price: $22.46 for 48 oz. package
14. BEST PLANT-BASED DETERGENT
Biokleen Natural Sport Concentrated Laundry Detergent’s bioactive formula breaks down and absorbs organic material, removing odors and buildup.
- Plant derived cleaner with no artificial fragrances or dyes
- Contains no phosphates, chlorine, ammonia or brighteners
- Cruelty-free and made in the USA
- Avg. retail price: $26.98 for 128 oz. bottle
15. BEST DETERGENT SHEETS
Save space and help the environment with Earth Breeze Liquidless Eco Sheets. Earth Breeze uses water from your washing machine to dissolve the sheets. This product also comes in plastic-free packaging.
- Formulated for sensitive skin
- Hypoallergenic, bleach-free, paraben-free, phosphate-free and vegan
- Avg. retail price: $12.23 for 30 count package
16. BEST UNSCENTED DETERGENT
Defunkify Powder Laundry Detergent is guaranteed to wash the funk out! Defunkify’s “odor-crushing power” cleans deep to remove funky buildup.
- “Industry leading” odor removal in one small scoop
- Unscented and free of dyes and fillers
- Ingredients approved by the EPA’s Safer Choice Program
- Avg. retail price: $19.79 for 55 oz. package (92 loads)
17. BEST DETERGENT FOR PET ODORS
We all love our pets, but they can leave your towels, bedding, and clothes smelling icky. Add Febreze Pet Odor Eliminator to your regular laundry detergent to remove odors instead of just masking them.
- Can be used to pre-treat or soak stubborn stains and odors
- Remove urine and odors from pet clothes, bedding, seat covers, pet carriers and more
- Safe to use with liquid, powder or pod detergents
- Avg. retail price: $21.50 for a 98 oz. bottle
18. BEST OVERALL STAIN REMOVER
You gotta love all things OxiClean! OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Powder harnesses the power of oxygen to remove tough dirt, set-in stains and odors.
- Chlorine-free and color-safe powder
- Use as a detergent or pre-soak for stubborn stains
- Can also be used to remove stains on carpets and upholstery
- Avg. retail price: $10.47 for a 5 lb. container
19. BEST POWDER DETERGENT FOR TRAPPED ODORS
OUT ProWash Workwear Odor Eliminator can be used on all fabrics to remove heavy-duty stains and odors.
- Easy on fabrics
- Great for sweat, musty odors, cooking odors and smoke
- Use on uniforms, towels, activewear and more
- Avg. retail price: $8.39 for a 22 oz. bottle
Minimize Your Laundry Woes With a Sweat Proof Shirt
We hope this list of the best laundry detergent for odors is helpful! But while an effective detergent, pre-treatment or booster can oust laundry odors, there’s no guarantee that your shirts will be free of stains — especially ones that are set in and seem too late to eliminate.
Instead, why not minimize odor in the first place by stopping it at the source?
Or, try Thompson Tees’ bestselling sweat proof undershirts for men and women. These undershirts contain patented Hydro-Shield sweat proof technology that’s guaranteed to stop armpit sweat from ruining (or stinking up) your clothes.
Wear, wash and try a Thompson Tee risk-free for 30 days to experience the OdorShield™ or Hydro-Shield difference!